Pages

Tuesday 9 August 2016

I can't wait until September the 3rd!

Learning Intention: We are learning to understand and use descriptive language in our recounts. 
Success Criteria: I know I can do this when I write a recount about my family concert using action verbs.


On Friday the 29th of July, my family had a family concert so we all had to go. We left the house at 6:50 pm. When we arrived at the hall, I kissed my relatives as a sign of love for them. Then we waited for the rest of my family to join us because we can only start when the whole family are together.


After a while, my cousins came. When my cousin Pongi and Olivia arrived, we all went to the kitchen to make some coffee for our family. My cousin Pongi was the eldest so she was in charge. She told my sister to pour the milk, my cousin Katrina washed all the cups, Olivia poured the hot water, Pongi made the coffee and the tea while I walked around with a notebook asking people if they would like a cup of tea or coffee.

When everybody was ready, we all said a prayer blessing us all. Then my cousins Cece and Sita put on some Tongan music. My cousins and my sister were in the backroom, getting dressed for our traditional dance. We wore our traditional Tongan clothes called Teunga tau'olunga and we had to wear a special clothing called a Kie kie over it.   


When we were all ready, my uncle called out our names. My sister did a Tongan dance to a song called Ta'koe Sola. Then my little niece Navy danced and she was the youngest dancer.


When I finished dancing, I watched my older cousins' performances. All the parents grabbed some money and put it on them, we call this gesture Faka'pale. I ran and collected the money and gave it to my dad so that he could count it up. My dad counted up the money to see how much we had raised for my great grandma's headstone and also for us to have a family reunion in Tonga.


After a while, we had some pizzas because we were all very hungry. Then my dad placed all the money into an envelope and made a speech. He told us that we should make time to get to know each other better and then he told us how much we have raised that night. We raised more than a thousand dollars. Afterwards we all danced to loud pop music.


Soon I collected all the cups and gave them to Pongi to wash. Then we all said goodbye to each other. Eventually we hopped into the car and drove home.

My favourite part was when my two year old niece Navy danced because it was really cute and also because she was our youngest dancer. I can't wait for our next family concert on September the third.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.